Calling this an amplifier build would be deceitful

Its more of a box build.

So browsing adafruit.com a while back I came across a class-d amplifier board they recently introduced. What is interesting about class-d amps is they are very efficient, thus generally needing no heatsinks. Seeing boards like this I am frequently reminded how far things have progressed since my electronics classes in 92/93. In that class I tried to build an amplifier for my car, and really didn’t get much further than etching the board. The traces didn’t etch cleanly, even using the advanced (at the time) sharpie+acid method. After getting board patched up with jumper wires to fix screwed up traces I then realized how expensive power mosfets were for a high school student. End of that project.

So I of course bought this little amplifier board immediately. There has been some conversations around the house that we should have music upstairs. So this board + an old ebay purchased airport express should do the trick nicely. So board in hand, it needed a box. I always skimp on the box, but in this case the board was pre-manufactured so I could afford to put some energy into its home. I haven’t done anything with any hardwoods on the CNC yet, and I had some walnut I got from a friend when he moved. So I set about making a box.

I have no jointer, so surfacing with the CNC, using a 1″ bit.

WP_20140427_002

Flipped the board over and routed a box + lid.

WP_20140427_011

WP_20140427_013

WP_20140519_002

The lid didn’t fit perfectly, and required some chisel work on the inside lip to seat properly. The outside also needed some time on the disc sander to be flush all the way around. I really need to upgrade my y/z axis with some linear bearings. Maybe this winter.

With the overall box built i used the drill press to put some holes in the back to mount the 1/8″ input, the 12v barrel jack, and the 4 speaker posts. Of course one of those holes is a square, so I had to spend some time with the files.

WP_20140519_003

Before mounting anything I needed to finish the back, as it would have been hard to do with all the posts etc in place. I was just going to do a basic coat of poly as this wood was very nice. Got out the rattle-can and gave it the first light coat – which did not work out well. I was not paying attention and grabbed black spray paint instead of my clear lacquer. How could that happen?

WP_20140519_004

Quick wipe down with mineral spirits, but black was deep in the pores. Decided to just blast the whole thing with black, wipe with spirits, and sand again. Turned out ok, gave the wood a darker appearance – although this wont be my ‘go to’ finishing technique.

WP_20140519_005

Mounted the amplifier inside with double-sided foam tape, and soldered up all the connections. Pretty basic.

WP_20140601_004

Functionality test with a 12v 1.5A switching power supply I had in the junk box, and it wouldn’t power up. I kinda forgot that 20w per channel is 40w. At 12v you need 3.5A at full power. I tested instead with a 11.1v Lipo battery from one of my RC airplanes, using alligator wires to the board and all was fine. (fatal mistake)

Double checked everything, glued the lid on, and finalized the finish.

WP_20140605_003

WP_20140605_004

I sourced an old pc power supply, as they can handle crazy current, and modified it to work w/o a pc. Grounding green wire is all it takes. I pulled out all the un-needed connections and put a barrel connector on it.

WP_20140606_003

Brought everything inside, connected up the speakers, power, airport express… and it doesn’t work. Much testing ensues, still does not work. Shamefully bring it out to the garage, and bust it open with a chisel.

WP_20140607_002

Of all things it turns out the barrel connector plug was bad. That was why the initial power supply didn’t work. That is why new power supply didn’t work. The test battery worked because I alligator jumped the leads to the back-side of the connector. Dang.

So now the power supply is hard wired in and everything works fine. This amp does a great job driving bookshelf speakers, and i would use it again. Things I would do differently if i were to do this again (hint : i won’t).

    Not use black spray paint by accident
    Put an indicator LED in the box so I know if there is power
    Turn the box ‘upside down’ and inset a plexiglass bottom that is screwed in (for access)

Overall a fun project, and I learned how nice walnut is to work with. I also finished an amplifier project, that i started over 20 years ago!

About these ads

One thought on “Calling this an amplifier build would be deceitful

  1. Shark says:

    I remember that amplifier project. High hopes, massive failure. The funny thing is the parts would probably be $20 today.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s