New sign for the workshop

Took a shot at making up a sign for the workplace.  Learned quite a bit in the process, and wanted to document a few of those learnings for the proverbial ‘next guy’.

I used 3/4″ mdf.. and a 1/4″ upcut spiral bit to do most of the cutting.  The circle logo and ‘aperture’ letters are .4″ above the surface, and the ‘laboratories’ letters are .2″.  I profiled the letters after the overall pocket was created with a 1/8″ bit to get more definition.  This all worked ok except for a few things:

  • An ‘R’ and an ‘I’ in laboratories popped off.  The MDF doesn’t hold well when the letters get small.
  • I re-routed those letters and then glued them on.  In that process I realized that NEXT time i would just route all the letters out of another (thinner sheet) and glue them on.  It would save many hours of pocketing work.
  • Glueing the letters would also allow for easier painting as you could paint everything seperate and then glue them on.
  • On the topic of paint, for $3 for a 1/2 quart home depot will create color matched ‘sample’ paints… awesome for this kind of work.
  • Be careful when shopvaccing around the machine while its working.  At the end I looks like a skipped a few stepper moter steps on the x axis, so i have some rough edges on the right side of my letters.  I vaguely recall the router pinching the hose against a letter while vaccuming.. that may have caused it.  If it didn’t.. well thats a problem for another day.

So I learned a lot, and have a fun sign for the garage – its about 36″ long for reference.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s