Believe christmas sign

Its rare that my wife asks me to make something for her. I think its hard for her to get over some internal negative connotation she has with ‘homemade’. This year for Christmas she did ask me to make her a sign for the front yard. My marching orders were for it to be as big as possible, and to say ‘Believe’. My CNC machine has only a 2×4′ bed, and for the first run at this I didn’t want to be patching together multiple boards. I chose to use 1/2″ plywood, as painted I think it will hold up pretty well to the elements.

First order of business was to grab an appropriate font. I usually go to 1001freefonts.com. No affiliation, but they have a nice selection of free fonts, and there is no hoops to jump through to get them. I chose the new font, typed up the word, and expanded it to fill my 2’x4′ work area. I then did a profile around the word, leaving a 2″ gap all around. The ‘fanciest’ part of this design was to use vectors to draw inside the letters to outline where the lights would go. My software could then space holes along those lines, and I chose to space them 1″ apart – end the end this worked out very nicely. The only other open question was how big the holes should be. Using my calipers I found out the lights were of inconsistent size. Most were around 0.21″. In the top center of the drawing you can see where I had a few holes of differing sizes that I machined initially to determine which size hole would have the best ‘friction fit’ to hold the lights in.

believe_cad

I painted the 2×4 sheet bright red and let it dry overnight. From there it was off to the CNC. I had big plans to use a contact paper (for lining drawers) mask for masking off the letters so they could be easily spray-painted white. This did not work well, and I would not do it again in the future. The mask isn’t super sticky, and it had a tendancy to pull up when routing. It also had a tendancy to ‘melt’ when sprayed with the spray paint I had. Regardless, my first machine operation was a profile to cut the mask with a downcut bit. This will also prevent tearout on future machine operations using an upcut bit.

So what you see here is the mask, along with repairs to mask made with blue painters tape.
believe masked

Second operation was to pocket the letters. This was just a shallow 0.2″ pocket. I then cut out the sign, spray painted the pockets (letters) and removed the mask. The led lights inserted from the rear with a friction fit, no adhesives used. Sorry I didn’t think to take more pictures of that process. Below see both day and nighttime photos of the final product.

believe_day

believe_dark

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s